Zen Meditation & Buddhism Classes
Each class term consists of 12 weeks. The first hour is sitting meditation and walking meditation; the second hour is Dharma lecture. Those who finish the course will receive a certificate.
- Level I Meditation methods: breath-counting, mindfulness of the breath, middle way reality (a Zen practice).
- Topics covered: introduction to Buddhism and Zen, Karma and causality, the Four Noble Truths ( suffering, the causes of suffering, nirvana, the Noble Eightfold Path), Three Refuges, Five precepts.
- Level II Meditation methods: Compassion contemplation and other methods.
- Topics covered: The bodhisattva ideal, the six paramitas: the perfection of charity, morality, tolerance, diligence, meditation, and prajna wisdom.
- Sutra Study Meditation methods: Middle way reality (a Zen practice) and other methods.
- Topics covered: The Sutra of Forty-Two Chapters, Eight Realizations of Great Beings, The Heart Sutra etc. Previous completion of Level 1 & Level 2 classes at the Zen Center are highly recommended.